Monday, June 2, 2014

Zoya Hudson Review and Swatches

Today, I bring to you a seriously fabulous polish, Zoya Hudson. I actually can't believe that I haven't reviewed this polish before. I think, honestly, that I forgot, because I've had the photos done for a while. It's part of the Spring 2014 Awaken Collection, along with Rebel and Dillon.

Zoya Hudson, shaded sun

Zoya describes Hudson as a "full-coverage, purple orchid metallic with a silver shimmer." This is one of those polishes that I think wanted to capitalize on Pantone naming Radiant Orchid as the color of the year. Really, I don't see this as an orchid shade. I've said this on other posts, but my mom actually grows orchids. I think her totals are in the 80s, and most of them aren't even in the purple range, but they tend to be more red-based purple than Hudson is. Hudson has a lot of really rich blue undertones, and the shimmer is nice without being overwhelming.
Zoya Hudson, direct sunlight

Orchid purple or not, I think Hudson is a seriously lovely color. It's balanced, so it doesn't read blurple like so many purples can, and it isn't too silvery, so it's more wearable than some metallic polishes. I think purple tends to toe the line between traditional polishes and the more edgy colors, like blues and greens, and Hudson is bright and metallic enough to fit in perfectly with Dillon and Rebel (the green and blue metallics in the Awaken collection), but soft enough to wear everyday and in more traditional settings.
Zoya Hudson, indoors in natural light

I hate to say it, but there's not really much to say about most purples. It's a mid-range purple, which is generally quite versatile. It's a polish that I'll wear a lot, and that will be in my regular rotation, but I really don't have an awful lot to say about it. It's a color I get complimented on when I wear it; it's not the sort that will turn lots of heads. Perhaps that's actually a plus, though. There are definitely times when I want a nail that will be beautiful, but not necessarily be too flashy or bold.
Zoya Hudson, indoors in artificial light

As always, Zoya is Big5Free (of formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, and camphor), and natural. It also will give you a good week or so of chip-free wear. Be sure to follow Zoya's blog for contests, giveaways, and promos. They also will tell you about new products and trends. It's worth checking out. Also, follow @ZoyaNailPolish on twitter. Same reasons, and because the fairies are frequently adorable beyond words. You can also follow me on twitter, @manic_paintress. Clearly, you know where my blog is. If you don't, I feel really bad about your internet skills.
Zoya Hudson, taken with flash

That's all for now. I'll be posting about Zoya Dillon soon. Promise.

Until then my darlings,
Emily, the Manic Paintress

No comments:

Post a Comment