Saturday, August 23, 2014

Zoya Astra and Nova: The Ultra Glitter Polishes, Winter 2009 Reviews and swatches

Zoya Nova, outdoors in shade
Zoya Astra, outdoors in shade
























Today, I have the two Ultra Glitter polishes by Zoya, Nova, and Astra. Well, I have the two that I own of the collection. Luna is no longer sold by Zoya. It was a silver, I believe. Nova and Astra are pretty darn gorgeous, if you ask me. What's unique about Zoya's glitter polishes are that they actually dry smooth, so they tend not to chip off too quickly. That tended to be a problem for me when I still wore OPI and essie polishes.

 First, let's look at Astra. Zoya describes it as "a deep, rosy warm pink tinted translucent base with lots of dark and light pink glitter." I think the base polish didn't really come out too much for me. It was pretty sheer, but was pink when you could glimpse it. The glitter was both dark and light pink.

Zoya Astra, indoors in natural light
Zoya Astra, outdoors in full sun



For me, I like Astra, but not as much as its sister polish. I think the light pink glitter really comes off as rather silvery, and almost looks polka-dotted, rather than a cohesive color. I really wanted to like it more than I actually did. It's pretty bright, and looks really nice for a night out, though. Perfect for a party.
Zoya Astra, flash
Zoya Astra, indoors in artificial lighting











Astra is available on zoya.com for $9. Again, it's a pretty pink color, more leaning towards the red and berry side. Very, very shiny and sparkly. Not for the faint of heart.

I am not even going to pretend that I don't love Nova more. Zoya describes it as "a medium royal fuchsia-purple tinted translucent base packed with dark and light pink glitter." Pretty accurate description, really. I love, love, love Nova. While the light glitter is still pretty silvery, it seems to meld with the dark glitter better, and doesn't look quite so polka-dotty as Astra. Maybe the base overlays better and actually tones it down?

Zoya Nova, outdoors in sun
Zoya Nova, flash
























Either way, Nova is sort of what I will always reach for if I'm looking for a super shiny Holiday polish. Recently, I've tended towards the holos, mainly because they're amazing, but glitter polishes do have their place. Sometimes a girl just needs to legit sparkle. When that call hits you, Nova is my clear choice. The color is such an interesting plummy pink. They call it fuchsia-purple, but I don't know if I'd say that. It's almost more wine. Either way, it's stunning and sparkly.

Zoya Nova, indoors in natural light
Zoya Nova, indoors with artificial lighting
























Nova is available on zoya.com for $9. It's super glittery, super pretty, and super necessary. Go out and get yourself a bottle.

The Ultra Glitter polishes are really unique in that they're not annoying to touch like a lot of glitters--they're smooth, not gritty, and they don't really chip so easily. Zoya really nailed the formulation for these, as usual. I think, if you try them, you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

I'll be back quite soon,
Emily, the Manic Paintress

No comments:

Post a Comment